Frequently Asked Questions About Elections
Wednesday, October 21, 2020 | 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Please call Customer Relations at 212-382-6663 to register
Free for Members | $15 for Non-Member Lawyers | Free for Non-Lawyers
Please Note: All attendees will receive an email confirmation including a zoom invite two hours prior to the program with details of how to access the webinar.
Join us three days before early voting starts in New York for the 2020 presidential election for an evening with some of the state’s top election lawyers. Find out how the system works and if you think you already know the fundamentals, you’ll find out more.
In a time marked by concerns about chaos and mis and disinformation, meet some of the people on the front lines of democracy who will share how elections actually work. Issues that will be addressed are:
• Can I still donate $70,000 to a candidate for state-wide office? The New York State Public Campaign Finance Board - structure, status, and plans.
• Who really runs the New York City elections? New York City Board of Elections - authority, structure, services to candidates, services to voters.
• Many languages, one democracy, how do we protect voters?
• Does democracy require perfect elections? Making voting by mail work in New York past, present, and future.
• Is it chaos or is it just federalism? Understanding mail-in ballot requirements in the battleground states.
• Can I vote twice? Counting ballots legally and transparently in New York State.
• How does litigation protect candidates, voters, and elections? The old days, the new days, and the future of the Supreme Court.
Henry T. Berger, Election Lawyer, Law Office of Henry T. Berger
India L. Sneed, Greenberg Traurig
Martin E. Connor, Election Lawyer, Law Office of Martin E. Connor; Former Minority Leader NYS Senate
Douglas A. Kellner, Co-Chair, NYS Board of Elections
Lawrence Norden, Director, Election Reform Program, Brennan Center for Justice
Sarah K. Steiner, Election Lawyer, Law Office of Sarah K. Steiner; Former Chair, NYC Bar Election Law Committee
Jorge L. Vasquez, Jr., Program Director, Power and Democracy Program, Advancement Project
Ekow Yankah, Commissioner, New York State Public Campaign Finance Board
John W. Zaccone, Commissioner, NYC Board of Elections
Election Law, Katharine G. Loving, Chair
Diversity Pipeline Initiatives, Shanice Naidu-Jimenez, Chair
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
Caribbean Attorneys Network
Centro Civico Cultural Dominicano
Dominican Bar Association
Hispanic National Bar Association Region II
Macon B. Allen Black Bar Association
Metropolitan Black Bar Association
Muslim Bar Association of New York
National Bar Association Region II Election Protection Committee
South Asian Bar Association of New York