Accounting for Lawyers (OnDemand)
Originally held on Tuesday, August 01, 2023 | 9:00 am – 12:15 pm
Attendees of this program will be able to recognize the relevant accounting principles at work and how they may impact the outcome of legal matters.
Whether you’re a transactional attorney or a litigator, when financial and accounting records emerge in the legal matter you’re handling, it helps to know some accounting basics. The numbers always tell a story—one that may support your legal position.
This basic level program will provide an overview for the non-accountant attorney of key accounting principles including:
- Introduction of Financial Statements
- Types of Financial Statements
- Users of Financial Statements
- Overview of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- How to read:
- Level of Accountant’s Reports
- The Balance Sheet
- The Income Statement
- The Statement of Cash Flows
- The Notes to the Financial Statements
- Examples of financial statements by different industries
- How to analyze financial statements for key indicators and financial statement ratios
- Effect of COVID-19 issues on financial statements
- Current developments
- Fraud issues on financial statements
- How to read a tax return
- Tax forms associated with different entities
- Identifying sources of income
- Tax deductions that do no equal economic outlay
- Differences between financial accounting and tax accounting
- Discoverability of tax returns
- Federal Statutes
- Case Law
- Will a tax return answer your questions
Click Here to View Program Agenda & Faculty
New York: 3.5 Skills
New Jersey: 3.8 General
California: 3.0 General
Pennsylvania: 3.0 General
Connecticut: Available to Licensed Attorneys
$229 Member | $329 Nonmember
This program is free to Members who are Recent Law Graduates, Newly Admitted Lawyers (admitted for the first time in 2021-2023), In-House Counsel, Judges, or Attorneys in Government, Academic or Not-for-Profit sectors.
Please Note: Newly admitted NY attorneys cannot fulfill ethics or skills credits through our OnDemand programs under OCA rules. For more information on this, please see http://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/cle/changes_for_2016.shtml.
Howard H. Fine, Partner-in-Charge of the Accounting & Auditing Group, Gettry Marcus CPA, P.C.
Dean L. Surkin, Tax Director, Gettry Marcus CPA, P.C.
Information about our Financial Aid Policy and Application can be found here.