FLSA Math: How to Calculate Wage-Related Damages (OnDemand)
Originally held on Wednesday, November 1, 2023 | 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Click Here to View Program Agenda & Faculty
This lively and challenging CLE program will provide the nuts-and-bolts necessary for attendees to understand the, at times confusing, formulas that apply when calculating wage-related damages under the Fair Labor Standards Act and the New York Labor Law. Join a distinguished panel of management and employee-side attorneys as they explain the myriad ways in which damages are calculated under both laws.
The panel will discuss specific and complex examples of issues that arise in practice, such as:
• calculating hourly, overtime, and minimum wage rates (salaried, commission, shift pay, blended rates)
• special rules for the calculation of damages for workers in the hospitality/restaurant, domestic and building services industries
• spread-of-hours pay and non-hourly wage rates (salaried and piece-rate employees)
• statutory damages under the Wage Theft Prevention Act
• overtime gap rule
• fluctuating workweek
• interest under state and federal laws
• liquidated damages
• tip credits and tip damages
• spreadsheet tips and calculations
New York: 3.0 Skills
New Jersey: 3.1 General
California: 2.5 General
Pennsylvania: 2.5 General
Connecticut: Available to Licensed Attorneys
$229 for Members | $329 for Nonmembers
This program is free to Members who are Recent Law Graduates, Newly Admitted Lawyers (admitted for the first time in 2021-2023), In-House Counsel, Judges, or Attorneys in Government, Academic or Not-for-Profit sectors.
Please Note: Newly admitted NY attorneys cannot fulfill ethics or skills credits through our OnDemand programs under OCA rules. For more information on this, please see http://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/cle/changes_for_2016.shtml.
Louis Pechman, Pechman Law Group PLLC
Sponsoring Association Committees:
Federal Courts | Richard Hong, Chair
Labor & Employment Law | Tracey Salmon-Smith, Chair
Hospitality Law | Larry A. Welch, Chair
Information about our Financial Aid Policy and Application can be found here.