Pregnancy and Parental Rights in the Workplace: Best Practices During Times of Change
Monday, January 24, 2022 | 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Online registration is now closed. Please call Customer Relations at 212 382 6663 to register or for assistance.
$149 for Members | $249 for Nonmembers
Members who are Law Students, Recent Law Graduates, Newly Admitted Lawyers (admitted for the first time in any state or country 2020-2022), In-House/Corporate Counsel, Judges, and attorneys that practice within the Government, Academic or Not-for-Profit sectors attend this program for free.
New York: 2.0 Professional Practice
New Jersey: 2.4 General
California: 2.0 General
Pennsylvania: 2.0 General
Connecticut: Available to Licensed Attorneys
This program provides transitional/non-transitional credit to all attorneys
In this CLE, four outstanding panelists will take a deep dive into the current state of Federal, New York State, and New York City law as it relates to pregnancy discrimination, family responsibility, and parental leave. Topics covered will include:
- Overview of the patchwork of laws covering pregnancy and parental rights, including but not limited to, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 (“PDA”); Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”); The Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”); Family First Coronavirus Response Act (“FFCRA”); New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”); New York State Human Rights Law (“NYSHRL”) and New York Paid Family Leave Act (“NYPFLA”).
- Overview of the common challenges pregnant women and new parents face in the workplace and how Plaintiff’s attorneys are advocating for the rights of these plaintiffs, using the above-referenced legal framework.
- Discussion of best practices for employers and H.R. personnel regarding pregnancy and parental leave.
- Discussion of where the above-referenced legal patchwork falls short and what legal and legislative efforts are being made to address those gaps (i.e., the Pregnant Workers Act and other initiatives).
- Overview of the New York City Commission on Human Rights’ efforts to combat pregnancy and caregiver discrimination.
This CLE will offer invaluable practice pointers to plaintiff-side attorneys and management-side attorneys, and will also offer a comprehensive background of the legal framework governing pregnancy and parental rights at the Federal, State and City level.
Click Here to View Program Agenda & Faculty
Chaya M. Gourarie, Amabile & Erman, P.C.
Sponsoring Association Committees:
Labor & Employment, Tracey Salmon-Smith, Chair